Tuesday

Love my molasses ... and Olives muffins ...

Who doesn't love molasses? Well, everyone loves this thick rich gooey syrup. I always welcome an opportunity to use it and I have a lovely new quick and delicious way to enjoy it more frequently. Molasses lover's unite! This recipe came to me by way of my good friend Olive. The last time we visited she served me rich perked coffee and these beautiful moist muffins cut in half and slathered with butter. They drove me crazy and I must confess to eating more than my share. 'Would you like another muffin?' ... 'Oh I don't want to take more than my share!' (well I do actually ... and I did) ... what can I say - I love them.  When I asked Olive for her recipe she said that she actually used a mix and just made a few changes. Low and behold - when she showed me the package I was thrilled! It was the same muffin mix I use except that she had boldly played about with hers! Wow! These are fantastic and it is a real bonus to whip them up so quickly from a mix. I added nuts to the top of mine for the protein to give me super powers and also - I just love the flavor of nuts.


Olives Molasses Bran Muffins (with Nuts)

3 cups Quaker bran muffin mix
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup (heaping) fancy molasses
1 egg
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.

Pre-heat oven 400 farenheit.

In a medium sized bowl mix the muffin mix and the wheat germ. In a measuring cup mix the molasses and egg and water. Pour the contents of the measuring cup into the bowl and mix until just mixed.
Fill paper muffin cups 3/4 full. (Use cupcake liners as these are tricky to get out of greased muffin tins because of the molasses. Don't ask me how I know this - just trust me on this.) Bake on the center rack of the oven for 12 minutes then start checking. Cook these less time than the package directs as they can overcook quickly with the molasses. They are ready when the top bounces back when gently poked with a fingertip (like a little pillow).

Pour yourself a coffee, slather a few of these up with butter - find a chair in the sun and enjoy one of the loveliest muffins you will ever have!

No comments:

Post a Comment