Tuesday

Pork & Cabbage Potstickers

I love these! The first time I made them was under my little big brother's tutelage. (He may be bigger than me but I am older therefore he is still my little big baby brother.) It was so easy and fast! I thought they would take much longer to make.  But as the wrappers are store bought the entire process moves along very quickly. My brother makes various kinds with meat, shrimp, vegetables ... he is very creative with his and makes various dipping sauces for his dumplings. My dumplings are just a simple dumpling - as I am just a simple girl - but I played about to find the right balance of ground pork, cabbage and seasoning for my taste. In my ever so humble opinion this is not too heavy, not too light - it is just riiiight. The flavour is soft and full but not rich or complex. Prepare your ground meat mixture then fill a dumpling, quickly pan fry it, taste it and adjust your seasonings to suit yourself before you go any further. When I make these I make about seventy at a time so I really do not want to discover when I go to serve them that I wished I had added more salt! As I fill my wrappers I lay the uncooked dumplings on a sheet of plastic wrap on a cookie sheet. When I have filled the sheet I cover the pan with another sheet of plastic wrap, and place it in the freezer. Then when the dumplings are solidly frozen I pour them all into a freezer bag. This way they are always 'free flow' and do not stick together.   
Pork and Cabbage Dumplings
2 cups ground pork
2 cups chopped Chinese cabbage (also called Napa cabbage)
1 stalk green onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil

35 dumpling skins (not wonton skins which are to thin - you will regret it if you use them)

Mix altogether. Place 4-6 skins on counter. Swirl outside edges with pastry brush dipped in water.
Place 1 Tbsp pork & cabbage filling on half of skin. Fold skin over and seal, removing air pockets.

To cook (fresh or frozen): Pour 2-3 tsp oil in a no-stick pan over medium low heat. When oil is hot add enough dumplings to cover 1 layer. Check here and there to ensure they are browning on bottom. When they are brown enough for your tastes flip them and add about 3 Tbsp hot water to pan. Turn heat to low and cook until brown and cooked through. Serve with dipping sauces.
If you make any dipping sauces you love please send me the recipe to add here. I think everyone likes to try different variations. Enjoy.

Soy Sauce & Sesame Oil Sauce:
    3 Tbsp light soy sauce
    1 tsp cooking sherry or rice wine vinegar
    1 tsp sesame oil

 Janey's Hot & Sweet Hoisin Sauce
    2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
    ½ tsp. Sriracha Chili Sauce (or to taste)
    1 – 2 tbsp. hot water from the tap.

No comments:

Post a Comment